Saturday, January 17, 2009

Judo, 1/17/09

Today we began by working on kosotogari, but a sneakier version than what I'm used to. This one makes uke step backward instead of forward-ish, and works well as a sneaky and disorienting attack. I need to remember that the sweep or prop comes pretty late in the step for this throw. If my mind insists on sweeping/propping early, I need to remember to do it to uke's other (far) foot, effectively sweeping both feet. This variation is nidan kosotogari.

We played with a new (to me) set-up for this throw. It's hard for me to explain in writing, but as uke steps back, you kind of stop his motion by pulling with one hand while making him twist by pushing with the other hand, then the push-sweep-pull sequence to sweep him. This works well as a set-up for kosoto or deashi, but man, it's subtle. I need to remember that the pull in the set up is more of a "stop his motion" than a pull, and the push is more of a "leading him to twist" than a real push. Pat then previewed another throw for me that can use this type of set-up, tsurikomigoshi, which he also just blogged about. This motion is really awkward for me, but I think it'll improve, like a lot of the stuff that was very awkward 5 months ago when I started!

Next we took a look at the "Pummelling" exercise (a wrestler's exercise) Roy Dean discussed on his Blue Belt Requirements DVD. Pat used this exercise to demonstrate that no matter what is happening above the waist, there are still plenty of judo techniques waiting to happen during our steps, if I can synch up and find the principles that are always there. The chaotic stuff that happens upstairs (with the arms and hands) does not have to interfere with the judo taking place with our legs and feet. He followed this with a brief discussion and demonstration of how aikido techniques can lead into some pretty sweet judo techniques. Specifically, we looked at how we could get a kosotogari out of an aikido wrist release #1. I cannot overstate how freaking cool that concept was. It was one of those "wow" moments that truly amazed me, and even got me a little more excited about aikido again.

Being thoroughly warmed up by this time, we did some ground work. I had mentioned to Pat that I was having trouble with the "Scissor Sweep" from Roy Dean's BJJ DVD. It was taking way too much muscle for me to execute, and wasn't working just right even when I could do it. We worked on that a bit, and I found again that my hip escapes / shrimping are seriously lacking. Especially with Pat holding me from munegatame or kesagatame...those holds, as done by Pat, are my kryptonite. I pretty much have to tap as soon as he gets me in those holds. I can't breathe or escape. Anyway, I learned a few things about that sweep: 1) the only arm motion involved is a curling motion, pulling top guy closer to me. When I try to off balance him while holding him away, he ends up too far away from me, and I have to scramble for mount or side control, IF the sweep even works. If I keep him in close during the sweep, it's easier to end up mounted on him. 2) And this is important for me, especially - start framing with my leg as he's mounting; don't wait until he's got a good mount, then try to set up the sweep. 3) remember to use opposing motions of the top and bottom leg (like a scissor!).

Ground randori was next, and I felt like I was getting winded even quicker than I was last week! We ended with standing randori, and it's still awkward chaos to me. Never fear though, I'll get better!

Today I began to personify my weaknesses in regard to escapes, and inabilities to do anything when held in certain ways. I'm now thinking of my weakness as an opponent to be defeated. It won't be beaten by luck, but by honest effort and gradual growth. Melodramatic? Maybe, but now I can't seem to get the theme from "Rocky" out of my head, and that's sure to do me some good, right?


No comments: